Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else

From: Allen S. Rout
Subject: Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:23:27 -0500

On 02/09/2012 11:26 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
Hello,

address@hidden (François Pinard) writes:

I notice in org.el that [X] is hard-wired, while I would have liked the
possibility of changing it by [✓] in my things, which I find both softer
and cleaner.  Could these ([ ], [-] and [X]) be turned into variables?
The difficulty might be to recognize them properly, I guess.

I don't think that we should allow basic structural elements to
change. As you said, it will make Org documents less interoperable, but
also less _recognizable_. What would happen to Org if every user could
come up with its own syntax? Could we even talk about an "Org format"
anymore?

M. Pinard may want to look into changing the way that glyph displays... If we were to define a font face which was used for checkboxes, he could then specify for that font an edited font which displays his desired checkmark in the character formerly knows as 'X'.

- Allen S. Rout