Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 17:26:07 +0100

Hello,

address@hidden (François Pinard) writes:

> I notice in org.el that [X] is hard-wired, while I would have liked the
> possibility of changing it by [✓] in my things, which I find both softer
> and cleaner.  Could these ([ ], [-] and [X]) be turned into variables?
> The difficulty might be to recognize them properly, I guess.
>
> While it would be nice that I could change it, it might also have a
> negative effect, making Org files less interoperable between people.  On
> the other hand, the TODO keywords are already changeable, so there is a
> kind of precedent :-).

Allowing to configure TODO keywords is mandatory if we aim at providing
a decent tool for project planning. On the other hand, customizable
check-boxes is only icing on the cake and doesn't add any
functionality. Hence, I wouldn't call it a "kind of precedent".

I don't think that we should allow basic structural elements to
change. As you said, it will make Org documents less interoperable, but
also less _recognizable_. What would happen to Org if every user could
come up with its own syntax? Could we even talk about an "Org format"
anymore?

I'd rather keep it simple and consistent. It may be a bit ugly at times,
but don't we all feel at home with plain text?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou