Re: [O] [BUG] cannot open menu when in an org buffer

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] cannot open menu when in an org buffer
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 14:26:41 +0100

Hi Nick,

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 03:31, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> suvayu ali <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 18:46, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > Confirmed. If I add
>> >
>> > (require 'org-clock)
>> >
>> > to my minimal .emacs, it goes away. So it seems to be a missing dependenc=
>> y.
>> >

>> It seems an odd dependency to have.
>
> True - org-in-clocktable-p does not have anything to do with clocks, but
> it ended up in org-clock.el. All of these "where am I" functions should
> probably be in org.el. In fact, they all are except for
> org-in-clocktable-p and org-at-item-p. The latter is in org-list.el and
> it is not giving an error a) because org-in-clocktable-p errors out
> first and b) because org.el contains a (require 'org-list). So having a
> (require 'org-clock) in org.el does have a precedent, but of course this
> way you end up defeating autoloads: the moment org.el is loaded, all of
> these things are too. There might be a better arrangement but it's like
> Pascal's letter[fn:1] : it would require time to find it :-)

True, actually this is one of my only gripes (if you could call it that)
about org. Loading my org customisation is a fair part of my emacs start
time. If I could improve this, it would be perfect. :)

>> Anyway, I noticed something;
>> pressing F10 does bring up the menu as expected without any backtrace.
>> After that I can select anything on the menu with a mouse without
>> problems.
>
> That's true: org-context is only called from mouse code, so if you drop
> the menu without the mouse, there is no problem: selecting a menu item
> with the mouse, once the menu has dropped, is all widget code and does
> not invoke org code at all.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was always hazy about the emacs interface
libraries. I think I'll look into them someday when I have some time.

>> The error occurs only when bringing up the menu for the
>> first time with a mouse.
>>

> That I find surprising though: I would expect that if you try to
> click on the menu again, you'd get the error again: nothing is done
> to define the function, so why should anything be different the
> second time?

Ah, sorry my mistake. I did not word it correctly. I didn't mean
bringing up the menu with a mouse a second time. I meant once the menu
was up (lets say the "File" menu), going to a different one by hovering
over the menu (say "Edit" or "Options") with a mouse doesn't trigger
the backtrace. Clearly it is obvious now why it would be so from your
explanation above. :)

> [fn:1] Approximately: "Forgive the length of this letter: I did not have
>       time to make it shorter."

This is a very interesting and true remark. I was not familiar with
it before. :)

--
Suvayu