Re: [O] Unicode (hindi/devnagari) in beamer export

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [O] Unicode (hindi/devnagari) in beamer export
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 15:02:03 +0100

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:47, Vikas Rawal
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I need some Hindi/Devnagari text in a beamer presentation. I am able
> to use scim-bridge to enter unicode text in orgmode. But have not yet
> been able to export it correctly to a beamer presentation.
>
> Any pointers would be helpful.

I don't know about scim-bridge, but you can use transliteration
provided within emacs to enter the text very fluidly. As for export,
try xelatex or lualatex. They have much better unicode support. The
following should do it:

(setq org-latex-to-pdf-process
      "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
      "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
      "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f")

and

# for unicode export to pdf with xelatex
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{xltxtra}

You can choose your font with something like this:

# font for pdf export as article
#+LATEX_HEADER: \setmainfont{Linux Libertine}

Make sure you choose something which supports devanagari.

It would be nice if you report back whether it worked. I would be interested.

GL

--
Suvayu