Re: [O] Org without X on Debian

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: [O] Org without X on Debian
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:22:56 -0500

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:42:27 +0000 (UTC), Karl wrote:

Does anybody use Org in a non-graphical environment?
Is it possible to make the (all) keys work?

Look at section 15.9 in the Org manual, "Using Org on a tty". There
are alternative keys for all the keys that don't work on a terminal
(on GNU/Linux, there is effectively no difference between a virtual
console and a terminal).

One other thing you might consider would be to run a minimalistic
graphical environment. Instead of using a desktop environment like
Gnome or KDE, use a simple window manager like openbox, or a tiling
window manager like dwm, awesome, or stumpwm (my favorite). If the
only application you're going to be running under X will be emacs,
there's no reason not to use dwm for your window manager, actually.

| Jason F. McBrayer address@hidden |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors. --- The Dhammapada |