Re: [O] problem with orgstruct/outline-minor-mode with inde nted headlin

From: David Rogoff
Subject: Re: [O] problem with orgstruct/outline-minor-mode with inde nted headlines
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 07:15:51 +0000 (UTC)

David Rogoff <david <at> therogoffs.com> writes:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm still trying to get orgstruct to work right. One thing I
> found is that I7 was getting confused with outline-magic which
> set up outline-minor-mode-map but not orgstruct-mode-map.  I'm
> working inside verilog-mode, which uses the same "//" comment
> as c.  So I defined outline-regexp:
>
> (setq outline-regexp "\\s-*// [*]+ ")  ;; any line that starts with "// "
> (possibly preceeded with whitespace) and some number of stars and a space
>
> This works fine. I needed the whitespace in front since
> verilog-mode indents comments along with code.
>
> The problem is when I run org-cycle on a headline.  The
> following headline ends up on the same line (also in
> outline-minor-mode).
>
>    TRIMMED
>
> What's going on?  There's some confusion about the headline
> level being based on the indent and the number of stars.
>
> I'm so close, but need help figuring out this last problem.

Anyone?  I've been trying to learn how outline-mode works to modify
the outline level, but I'm not quite there yet. I made my own versions
of the outline-level function to try
and see what's going on:

(defun dhr-outline-level ()
  "Return the depth to which a statement is nested in the outline.
Point must be at the beginning of a header line.
This is actually either the level specified in `outline-heading-alist'
or else the number of characters matched by `outline-regexp'."
  (interactive)
  (or (cdr (assoc (match-string 0) outline-heading-alist))
      (- (match-end 0) (match-beginning 0))))

(defvar dhr-outline-level 'dhr-outline-level
  "*Function of no args to compute a header's nesting level in an
     outline. It can assume point is at the beginning of a header line
     and that the match data reflects the `outline-regexp'.")

(defun dhr-disp-ol ()
  (interactive)
  (message "outline level = %d" (funcall dhr-outline-level))
  )

I'm close but still not quite there and could really use a little help!
Again, I had to add variable whitespace to the beginning of outline-regex
since verilog-mode indents comments.  I want to be able to adjust the
outline-level based on where "//" starts, not from the beginning of
the line.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!   This really makes editing my
code so much easier and if I can get this last bit to work right I can
convince a bunch of other ASIC engineers to use it and emacs!

 David