Re: [O] [bugs] Export to HTML requires issuing org-babel-execute-buffer;

From: Leo Alekseyev
Subject: Re: [O] [bugs] Export to HTML requires issuing org-babel-execute-buffer; results replace fails
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:07:39 -0600

Ok, I see.  Ideally, incompatible arguments should trigger an error
condition that would be communicated to the user (at the very least,
by printing a message in the minibuffer).  Silent failures are
annoying, even if documented :)

On a more practical note, is there _a_ method of achieving what I'm
trying to do here, namely, to place an image in the buffer in a way
that would be understood by Org and that would be properly imported in
HTML?

>> Referring to what I said in another thread ("the principle of least
>> surprise"):  it makes a lot of sense for the call lines to behave the
>> same way a function call, or a source() statement would behave in the
>> interpreter session of the original language.  From that perspective,
>> the current behavior seems wrong.  Can you come up with a scenario /
>> usage pattern where the current behavior is more desirable?
>>

> The only loss of functionality would be the ability in the existing
> model to have a call line and it's results live in separate locations.
> Given that call lines can not currently be named their results are named
> by the information on the call line (called function, header arguments,
> etc...) which will be identical for identical call lines, leading to the
> current confusing behavior.
>
> I think the best way forward would be to
>
> 1. stop auto-naming #+call: lines as we are currently and instead leave
>   their results anonymous as with code blocks, and by default inserted
>   immediately after the #+call: line.
>
> 2. allow names to be applied to call lines, which can then be used to
>   identify their results and locate their results remotely in the
>   buffer.
>
> If this sounds like a good way forward then I'll put it on my queue for
> some time in the when-I-have-more-time future. :)

Yes, I think it's a good long-term plan.  Enqueue it :)  In the
meantime, the current behavior (and the possible workaround) should
probably be mentioned in the docs if it isn't already.

--Leo