[O] Scrolling down after Shift-TAB ?

From: François Pinard
Subject: [O] Scrolling down after Shift-TAB ?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 18:39:26 -0500

Hi again.

Very, very often, after a Shift-TAB that collapses all entries, a few
lines in the vicinity of the cursor are shown at the top of the window,
which is mainly empty for its reminder; we contemplate the vacuum
*after* the file.  As my Org files are such that all the top level lines
usually fit in one window, I then invariably scroll down so see it all.

I wonder if this could be automated, yet it is a bit uneasy to exactly
define what would be the ideal.  Let me try an initial suggestion:

- If the whole Org file could be displayed at once, scrolling should
  automatically occur so the first line of the window displays the
  beginning of the Org file.

- Otherwise, if the last line of the window would be *outside* the Org
  file, scrolling should automatically occur so the last line of the
  window displays the end of the Org file.

- If neither of the above holds, do not automatically scroll.

Maybe others could improve on this with better ideas or algorithms ?

François