Re: [O] Side-by-side support

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Side-by-side support
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:04:54 +0530

Hello Christian

Christian Wittern <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2012-01-20 05:03, Jambunathan K wrote:
>> "side-by-side" has surfaced in the list for the second time, I think it
>> deserves to be supported "out of the box".

> I strongly support this, since I have a lot of files with side-by-side
> content.  The first question is of course how does the org source look
> like.

I think laying out tables either "list tables" (or for that matter, it's
"beamer equivalent") will become particularly "inconvenient" to edit. In
both the cases, the two-dimensional structure is laid out along the
single-dimension and it would become difficult to "remember" which
column or row when one is editing at a given point in time.

> In my case, I have simply separated the columns by a <tab> character
> and set the tab-width to a sensible value for nice on-screen display.
> These are 'text' and 'translation of that text' side-by-side,

When you are saying on-screen display, I presume you are referring to
the Emacs screen? I have a strong feeling that you are using two column
editing. Otherwise, it would be extremely difficult to keep one's
sanity.

See

C-h k C-x 6 2
(info "(emacs) Two-Column").

I have a wild-thought. Why not use use 2C editing for creating
multi-paragraph Org tables.

I am Ccing Nicolas (who is likely to have thought more about this stuff)
since the last conversation.