Re: [O] column view extension

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] column view extension
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:50:15 +0000

ayvango <address@hidden> writes:

> I've found a non-standard use case for org-mode.

I don't think there is a *standard* use case for org!  ;-)

> There is plenty of spreadsheets engine with common drawback:
> spreadsheet cells follow original memory cell abstraction that are
> handy for a computer but is inconvenient for human. Hierarchical
> structures is more natural and in some cases may be used much more
> effective for at almost half of the data models.

Indeed.  And I like your particular example.  Enjoy!

> This method saves me a lot of time but it may not be used with other
> hierarchical data models as simply as for the army list. This models
> may require more complicated summary types than those provided from
> ground. Is there any way to incorporate abstract grammar for defining
> and processing properties. There is already a way to define
> synthesized attributes as well as inherited ones. But there is no way
> to bind them together with a function to calculate output.

I cannot answer this, whether any such way exists or not, but I can add
my +1 if what you want is not possible.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.138.gbf1d5)