Re: [O] [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 16:08:52 +0000

address@hidden (François Pinard) writes:

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi again, Eric.  I'll be using your corrections on the code, thanks!

You're welcome!

>> I had to add a call to expand-file-name for getting a file name which
>> worked on my system for some reason.
>
>   (make-temp-name
>    (expand-file-name
>     (concat (file-name-as-directory name)
>             (subst-char-in-string
>              "." "-"
>              (file-name-sans-extension
>               (file-name-nondirectory
>                (buffer-file-name)))))))
>   ".png")))
>
> Not a big deal, but I wonder if it should not rather be:
>
>   (make-temp-name
>    (concat (expand-file-name
>             (file-name-as-directory name))
>            (subst-char-in-string
>             "." "-"
>             (file-name-sans-extension
>              (file-name-nondirectory
>               (buffer-file-name))))))
>
> as there is nothing to expand in the base part of the file name?

Yes, this would be equivalent in this case.  I guess I prefer the
former but only for reasons of style!

>> I also re-arranged your second (unless ...)  to an (if ...):
>
>   (if (file-writable-p name)
>       (progn
>         (message "Taking screenshot into %s" name)
>         (call-process "import" nil nil nil name)
>         (message "Taking screenshot...done"))
>     (error "Cannot create image file"))
>
> I kept it, but I might likely revert it back routinely to the earlier
> state, if I later happen to revisit that code.

> Just to show you how maniacal I may be, let me explain.  I just do not
> like "(progn ...)", and make stunts to avoid it.  I would rather
> write:

Well, the progn is only there because of the debugging messages I needed
to see what was happening... I should probably get to grips with the
debugger instead :(

[...]

> Maniacal I am, really!

No, simply differing styles!  I appreciate your reasoning in each case
I've elided but, in the end, the different versions or approaches you
mention are all essentially equivalent (computationally)... :-)

> François
>
> P.S. If you happen to grok French, you might have fun reading me (or
> making fun of me reading...):
>
>   http://icule.blogspot.com/1997/02/dieu-la-douleur-et-l.html

I grok French a little (as a Canadian, albeit one from the west...) so
will have a look at this when I am back online!

Thanks again,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.69.gfadca)