Re: [O] Including source when exporting in PDF

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Including source when exporting in PDF
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 00:45:01 -0700

Frozenlock <address@hidden> writes:

> I am a strong advocate in keeping the source of everything.
>
> However,  a source can easily be lost if it doesn't follow the document.
> In LaTeX, there's a package to attach a file to a PDF (like when you
> attach a file to an email).
> By doing so, the source will follow the PDF even if the common reader
> have no clue what it's for, or even how to use it.

This sounds like a great Reproducible Research practice.

> Here is how I attach my org source to every document I export to PDF:
>
> ;; Include the source file for every exported PDF (org-mode)
> (eval-after-load "org-exp"
>   '(defadvice org-export-as-latex (around org-export-add-source-pdf activate)
>      "Add the source (org file) to the resulting pdf file"
>      (let ((filename (buffer-name)))
>        ad-do-it ;do the function
>        (let ((latex-buffer ad-return-value))
>        (set-buffer latex-buffer)
>        (while (re-search-forward "\\\\usepackage{.+}" nil t)); go to the
> end of packages
>        (insert "\n\\usepackage{attachfile2}"); the package needed to attach
> files
>        (when (re-search-forward "\\\\end{document}" nil t)
>          (forward-line -1)
>          (insert
>           (concat
>            "\\vfill\n"
>            "\\footnotesize\n"
>            "The source of this document is an Org-Mode file attached here:"
>            "\n\\attachfile"
>            "{" filename "}")))
>        (save-buffer)))))
>

> This is by no mean a patch, but rather a quick hack. Perhaps someone
> with a working knowledge of the org-export could find a way to add a
> source option?

I think this practice may not actually require any changes to the
Org-mode core.  The attached small Org-mode file will attach itself to
pdf exports using only features already present in Org-mode.

Thanks for sharing this idea!

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/