[O] protect slash - suppress markup

From: Lasse Bombien
Subject: [O] protect slash - suppress markup
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 12:37:12 +0100

Hi,

first of all: thanks for org-mode. I'm still new to it but love it already.

Now, I need to find a way to produce sentences like "The phonemes /l/ and /n/
…" in my exported documents. However, org-mode of course transforms strings
enclosed in slashes to emphasized text. This is usually great, but in my area
slashes are used as brackets for phonological transcripts. Is there a way to
locally suppress slashes from being interpreted as markup characters (I tried
backslashing and double slashes…) or an entirely different way to accomplish
this (I tried: #+MACRO: phonem /$1/ …)?

I looked in the manual and the list archive but could find anything. If I
missed something, I apologize.

Thanks in advance,
Lasse