Re: [O] just made orgmode-7.8.02

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] just made orgmode-7.8.02
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 15:25:37 -0600

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Jude DaShiell <address@hidden> wrote:
We're now golden.  When I ran git describe I was told no repository
exists.  So I ran git init and created an empty repository and then ran
the git clone command and this time aI have an installed version of 7.8.02
and am told I'm up to date.  Apparently running a git clone operation on
slackware 13.0 without having an existing repository for git to populate
makes git a very unhappy camper.

You're just trying to clone the orgmode repo? You shouldn't need to do 'git init.' That's used when you want to create a local git repo from your own, pre-existing files. You're just trying to pull from a remote repository.

,---
| $ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
`---

Should work on it's own from any directory and will create a new directory populated with the orgmode git tree.

Git should work, regardless of the distro. Can you try again? If you'e like, try cd-ing to a directory where you want this to live and executing:

,---
| $ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git org.git
`---

See what happens. If you get errors, post the exact output to the list and others should be able to help.

Thanks!
John

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>