[O] Export visible part of tree to latex

From: John MacCallum
Subject: [O] Export visible part of tree to latex
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 13:02:20 -0800

Hi all,

I have an org file with this structure:

* head

** topic 1                                                           :topic:

*** foo

**** some foo                                                           :foo:

*** bar

**** some bar                                                           :bar:

** topic 2

*** foo

**** some other foo                                                     :foo:

*** bar

**** some other bar                                                     :bar:

and I would like to collect all entries with the tag foo and export them to a
latex file.  I have the variable org-show-hierarchy-above set to nil, so f I
run C-c \ "foo", I get this:

* head...

**** some foo
:foo:...
**** some other foo
:foo:...

which is exactly what I would like to export.  But when I go to export using
C-c C-e v l, the resulting latex file doesn't contain any of the entries below
the top ("head") level:

% Created 2011-12-29 Thu 12:47

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\usepackage{fixltx2e}

\usepackage{graphicx}

\usepackage{longtable}

\usepackage{float}

\usepackage{wrapfig}

\usepackage{soul}

\usepackage{textcomp}

\usepackage{marvosym}

\usepackage{wasysym}

\usepackage{latexsym}

\usepackage{amssymb}

\usepackage{hyperref}

\tolerance=1000

\usepackage{fullpage}

\providecommand{\alert}[1]{\textbf{#1}}

\title{org}

\author{John MacCallum}

\date{\today}

\hypersetup{

  pdfkeywords={},

  pdfsubject={},

  pdfcreator={Emacs Org-mode version 7.8.02}}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}

\tableofcontents

\vspace*{1cm}

\section{head}

\label{sec-1}

\end{document}

The html export does work as expected, however, and produces a nice bulleted
list of entries tagged "foo".  Also, the latex export works fine if I use it to
export the entire file instead of just the visible portion.

As an alternative, I tried creating a project by setting the
org-publish-project-alist variable like this:

(setq org-publish-project-alist

        '(("foo"

                :base-directory "~/toys/org"

                :base-extension "org"

                :publishing-directory "~/toys/org"

                :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-pdf

                :section-numbers nil

                :select-tags ("foo")

                :include ("org.org"))))

and exported using C-c C-e X "foo", which works ok, but the value of the
variable org-show-hierarchy-above is not respected, so I end up with a latex
file that has the entire hierarchy above the foo-tagged entries, which is not
what I want.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I'm using GNU Emacs 24.50.1 from the git repository built a few weeks
ago, and the latest org-mode from git built yesterday.

Thanks in advance,
JM