[O] Defining dependencies (was: What do you use to identify projects (in

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Defining dependencies (was: What do you use to identify projects (in the GTD sense))
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:41:26 +0100

* Viktor Rosenfeld <address@hidden> wrote:

> * TODO Project
> ** TODO Subproject A
> *** NEXT Task A1
> *** TODO Task A2
> ** NEXT Task B
> ** TODO Task C
> ** TODO ...
>
> Task B and C have to be done in order. However, Subproject A is somewhat
> independent and can be done in parallel, while working on Task B and C.
>
> When I mark Task B as DONE, the Project is still unstuck because of the
> a NEXT task in Subproject A. Meaning that I never get to schedule Task C
> or any following tasks until I'm done with Subproject A.
>
> One solution to this problem would be to trigger a state change in Task
> C automatically when Task B is done. But I'm afraid that is too much
> setup and also not flexible enough.

I had no trouble to set up this using the examples from
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html and
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-depend.html

With org-depend you can also use another method to overcome this
problem:

** NEXT Task B
   [...]
   :ID: mytaskB
   [...]

** NEXT Task C
   [...]
   :BLOCKER: mytaskB
   [...]

I am not using stuck project information (yet) but this does not
show Task C on my agenda at least. Which is quite nice since it is
way more flexible and can be used in a broader way.

--
Karl Voit