[O] Org-drill doesn't work...

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: [O] Org-drill doesn't work...
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 22:44:16 +0100

hi all,

i'm trying to set up org-drill for learning some russian vocabulary, but i'm not
very successful... i've created an org file that meets the requirements of a
proper org-drill file. i have a bunch of entries that look like this:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE

** Nomen                                                              :drill:

   :PROPERTIES:
   :DRILL_CARD_TYPE: twosided
   :ID:       9927d8c4-1692-4784-9afc-9e4a770a62c8
   :END:

*** Deutsch

    Herbst

*** Russisch

    о́сень (f)

*** Beispiele

    im *Herbst*
    о́сенью

    nächsten *Herbst*
    сле́дующей *о́сенью*

    letzten *Herbst*
    про́шлой о́сенью

#+END_EXAMPLE

of course, the ID was added by org-drill, not by me. after creating the file,
the first run of org-drill seemed to be fine. i was prompted for a couple of
items, maybe five or so, and after i had finished, emacs told me the results.

however, trying to run org-drill the next day, i got the following message:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE

0 items reviewed. Session duration 0:00:00.
Recall of reviewed items:
 Excellent (5):       0%   |   Near miss (2):        0%
 Good (4):            0%   |   Failure (1):          0%
 Hard (3):            0%   |   Abject failure (0):   0%

You successfully recalled 0% of reviewed items (quality > 2)
0/1 items still await review (0 failed, 0 overdue, 0 new, 0 young, 0 old).
Tomorrow, 0 more items will become due for review.
Session finished. Press a key to continue...

#+END_EXAMPLE

i wasn't prompted for any new items and the message "tomorrow, 0 more items will
become due for review" worries me.

also, running org-drill-again gives me the same message.

i'm sure i'm doing something wrong, but i can't figure out what... would
appriciate any help pointing me in the right direction.

Org-mode version 7.8.02 (and org-drill included with it), GNU Emacs 23.3.1.

TIA

Joost

btw, i noticed that some of the customize items in org-drill.el are incorrectly
defined. for example, the :type declaration in
org-drill-spaced-repetition-algorithm is:

  :type '(choice (const 'sm2) (const 'sm5) (const 'simple8))

but the symbols shouldn't be quoted:

  :type '(choice (const sm2) (const sm5) (const simple8))

there are one or two more cases like this. they're labelled in the customize
buffer as "MISMATCH".

--
Dr. Joost Kremers
Georg-August-Universität