Re: [O] Directional quotes in html

From: Herbert Sitz
Subject: Re: [O] Directional quotes in html
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 20:37:52 +0000 (UTC)

Christian Moe <mail <at> christianmoe.com> writes:

> Hi, Herb,
>
> I keep this in my .emacs:
>
> (setq org-export-html-special-string-regexps
>        (cons
>         '(" \"\\([^\"]+\\)\"" . " &ldquo;\\1&rdquo;")
>         org-export-html-special-string-regexps))
>
> There may be a better way to do it altogether, and I'm sure the very
> simple regexp could be improved on (in fact, I'm posting this in the
> hope someone will improve on it), but it mostly works.
>
> Yours,
> Christian

Christian -- Thanks a lot.  If there's nothing built in to Org to do it then
that looks like a good method.

Question: Does this work only if quotes both appear on the same line of Org-mode
text?  Or is the regex applied to paragraph as a whole after it's been assembled
as part of export?

It looks like it does only double-quotes; makes me realize single quotes are a
bit harder because they're often used alone as apostrophes.  It seems like even
single-quote pairs could work well if you put beginning-of-word (\<) and
end-of-word (\<) regex anchors in there.

Beginning-of-word and end-of-word anchors may be appropriate even for the
double-quote search, so maybe something like change below could be improvement.
Take it for what's it's worth, since I don't do emacs regexes.

-- Herb