Re: [O] [bug] Symbol's function definition is void: org-pop-to-buffer-sa

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] Symbol's function definition is void: org-pop-to-buffer-same-window
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:09:40 -0500

Kenny Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:

> According to this discussion on the mailing list,
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/48571 , this is a known
> bug.
>
> I fixed this by loading "org-compat" after requiring org-mode from
> git, just like Sebastian said.

I don't think it's a bug in org: if you start with a clean copy of the
repo (make clean; make) and have your load-path pointing there, you
should not see any problems.

IIUC, Michael Bach's problem (a fairly common one, btw) was that he was
mixing different installations: he was picking up a recent org-capture
that was using org-pop-to-buffer-same-window, but an older org-compat
that did not include the definition of that function.

You have to make sure that all of the pieces come from the same place,
but there is still a gotcha in the sense that an old .elc file will
be picked up by emacs in preference to a new .el file (possibly with
a warning, but who looks at warnings?)

Hence assuming you are using git to keep up to date:

        make clean
        make
        C-h v load-path RET
        [make sure that your load path points at your git directory *first*]
        M-x org-reload RET
        [or perhaps safer: restart emacs]

And use M-x locate-library to make sure that emacs agrees with you about
where things are picked up from.

Nick