Re: [O] [ANN] Org Elements in contrib

From: Brian Wightman
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Org Elements in contrib
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 08:02:44 -0600

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've added org-element.el in contrib directory. It is a complete parser
> and interpreter for Org syntax.
>
> While it was written to be extensible, it is also an attempt to
> normalize current syntax and provide guidance for its evolution.

This is also a good thing (IMO) from the viewpoint of being able to
provide external (non-org-mode) parsers for org-mode files.  If
org-element is the canonical definition of org syntax (not semantics,
just syntax), all other parsers must adhere to this or they are in
error.

A slight evolution of this would be to have this definition defined in
the tests, and have org-element, or any other parser, adhere to those
tests.  Defining a canon for org-mode syntax is, in any form, a big
step forward.

Brian