Re: [O] Quicker refile? Capture & progress cookies. Using capture to cou

From: Gez
Subject: Re: [O] Quicker refile? Capture & progress cookies. Using capture to count/tally
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:07:37 +0000

Bernt, I think your system (and your writing about it) is fantastic
and it has inspired me to develop mine.

On 17 November 2011 23:10, Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Gez <address@hidden> writes:

> I almost exclusively use capture to quickly file away things I don't
> want to forget.  This goes to my refile.org as a level 1 heading and
> isn't attached to anything yet.

I was resisting doing that because I have different todo's for
different files, but - it just occured to me - what's to stop me
listing all of the possible todo's at the top of a refile org file?  I
might just do that.

> All of my tasks that need to be refiled show up on my block agenda view
> in the second section - immediately under today's agenda view.<snip>
> I'm using this block agenda view regularly during the day and the tasks
> to be refiled are constantly 'in my face' until I do something with
> them.

Yes, it would work if I added them to my block agenda.

> I refile these items mostly from the agenda - I tend to get 2 or 3 of
> them that are going to the same target so I'll mark them with 'm' and
> refile with 'B r'.  My refile setup uses IDO completion for refile
> targets and I find this works very well.  If I'm refiling to file x.org
> under '* Tasks' I'll do something like C-c C-w x.org C-SPC tasks RET The
> order of entering x.org/tasks doesn't matter - IDO is limiting the
> targets to the entered data so I can match part of what is left in the
> list.

It's because of reading your set-up that I use IDO now.  I't's
amazing.  Perhaps I need more practise in using it - cleverly
selecting what I enter - since I end up having to type the whole file
name including .org quite often.  As good practise, I should probably
consistently start with the headline, since my filenames are not
unique enough (they match the equivalent archive file and also other
headlines).

> I've also set up refiling to remove DONE tasks from the list of
> available completion targets.  This helps prevent mistakes where you
> refile to an already done tree (or if you have repeating separate tasks
> with the same  name only the open ones show up as refile targets.)

I've had your page open for a while in firefox, gradually re-reading,
working through and modifying my setup.  I was going to tackle some
clock-related stuff next, but now I think removing DONE tasks from the
list of targets might be the next thing I add.

>Refiling the thing to the right place isn't
> important right now so I put that off.  Constantly having to move things
> to the right place as you capture them will be too slow IMHO.

I do know what you mean.  I think I've erroneously feared that if I
insert a reminder out of context, I need to be more verbose than I
would otherwise, or I will forget later what it means, but I can
imagine that if I frequently check the items to refile, I probably
won't forget.

> Hope that helps,

Very much indeed.
Thank you.