Re: [O] Getting rid of split frame with org-capture

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Getting rid of split frame with org-capture
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 15:41:53 -0500

Thomas Lockney <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm attempting to get some code working that should create a new frame
> with *just* org-capture, but when I run it, I keep getting a split
> despite various attempts at running delete-other-windows. I'm running
> on "GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i386-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS
> apple-appkit-1038.36)" so perhaps this is a 24 specific issue. Here's
> the code I've currently got:
>
> (defadvice org-capture-finalize (after delete-capture-frame activate)
>   "Advise capture-finalize to close the frame if it is the capture frame"
>   (if (equal "capture" (frame-parameter nil 'name))
>       (delete-frame)))
>
> (defadvice org-capture-destroy (after delete-capture-frame activate)
>   "Advise capture-destroy to close the frame if it is the capture frame"
>   (if (equal "capture" (frame-parameter nil 'name))
>       (delete-frame)))
>
> (defun make-capture-frame ()
>   "Create a new frame and run org-capture."
>   (interactive)
>   (make-frame '((name . "Capture")
>                 (width . 100)
>                 (height . 15)))
>   (select-frame-by-name "Capture")
>   (delete-other-windows)
>   (org-capture))
>
> I've also tried this using the org-capture-mode-hook to call
> delete-other-windows and I've tried placing delete-other-windows after
> the call to org-capture (both of those based on solutions I've seen
> posted to this list at various times). Anyone have any clues on this?
> I'm stumped, but I'm also fairly inexperienced at programming emacs.

As I pointed out in my reply to Gregor, org-capture will split the frame,
no matter whether you have a new one or not: you need to modify its innards
to change that behavior.

Aside from that, there is a problem here: you name the frame
"Capture", yet you test (equal "capture" ...) - I presume that's a typo?

Nick