Re: [O] zotero plain, org-odt, and citations in general

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] zotero plain, org-odt, and citations in general
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:51:22 -0500

Responding to just a few of the excellent points raised by J 7 E

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Erik Hetzner <address@hidden> wrote:
At Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:47:30 +0530,
Jambunathan K wrote:

I should note that while the org/zotero integration in zotero-plain
“works for me”, I would welcome changes to make it more robust and
feature-full. But I use org for notes and todo lists, not for document
production.
I'm trying to switch to using org for most of my writing; among other things, I now use it for posting to wordpress and (hopefully soon) drupal, where most of my teaching work takes place. So I htink there's a case to make for org as a person's main workspace.

> Instead of working with JS libraries, I think the right starting point
> would be to work with the underlying zotero.sqlite database itself. It
> is not difficult to get a key of the selected item in Zotero
> pane[3]. Once this is done the underlying zotero.sqlite database could
> be queried for the item properties[4].

Wouldn't the rigt target be, not the sqlite db, but the Zoteor *service* that runs on port 50001 when Zotero is running?  Aren't there some higher-level tools for working through that interface -- e.g., erik, your rst tool uses a python library, does it talk to Zotero that way?

> Fortunately there is already a GUI/Command line tool - Gnotero[5] -for
> accessing the sqlite database.

This would certainly work. However, one problem would be that gnotero
cannot generate formatted citations from a reference, that is, it
cannot use CSL [2] style rules to generate arbitrary citation
formats. This might be fine; some simple c

> As for exploiting the power of using zotero within libreoffice - which
> is to have the same citation presented in different citation styles -
> one need to look at how the reference marks are produced within
> OpenDocument XML.

Not only that, but how the LibreOffice plugin communicates with
Zotero, specifically the citeproc-js [1] part of Zotero, to generate
in-text citations, bibliographies, etc.

so, couldn't one think of the problem as having three parts:
(1) get emacs to talk to the zotero server; and
(2) figure out how org/emacs should interact with citeproc
(3) translate the org zotero links into a syntax that LibreOffice recognizes and can successfully manipulate

and am I further right that, as an interim measure, solving (1) and (3) properly and throwing together a quick hack for (2)  -- in which org supports exactly one, very simple citation style -- would make a workflow possible in which a person could compose in Org, and translate to ODT for the final processing of a document, and/or export to HTML using only the one citaqtion style that is supported by the aforementioned hack?

thanks again for all the help, folks,
matt