Re: [O] [OT] Scanning for archiving

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Scanning for archiving
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 15:53:58 +0100

* Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:

> Inspired by «Total Recall»[3], a book of two MS Research guys, I
> started life logging on my own two months ago.
>
> For this purpose I bought an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A Plus which costs
> € 250 and has a decent scanner. Is can scan and print full duplex.
> The scanner as a 30 page ADF which is quite reliable when the paper
> was not bend or stapled before.

Addendum: I just ordered a ScanSnap S1500M[4] which was also used by
the authors of «Total Recall». The HP OfficeJet Pro ADF is OK for
occasional scanning. For big scan jobs, the HP Scan software as well
as the ADF reliability is not sufficient I am afraid. Approx. 15-20%
of the pages are not scanned because of multiple pages were scanned
at once. The HP Scan software is not very user friendly: no
visualization of the total sum of scanned pages per job, no
auto-correction of scan skew, no auto delete of empty pages, far too
few keyboard shortcuts for basic functions, ...

Reading quite some product reviews I am confident that the ScanSnap
is able to provide a more reliable and easy to use scan experience
for large scan jobs.

After I scanned all of my current papers, I will probably sell the
ScanSnap and use the scanner of the OfficeJet Pro again.

  4. http://scanners.fcpa.fujitsu.com/scansnapit/scansnap-s1500m.php
--
Karl Voit