Re: [O] View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda

From: Brian van den Broek
Subject: Re: [O] View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 00:35:29 +0200

On 7 November 2011 16:29, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:
>
>> Fabrizio Chiarello <address@hidden> writes:
>>

>>> I have many tasks with a DEADLINE, and I wish to have their subtasks to
>>> inherit such DEADLINE. To this aim, I set:
>>>
>>>  (setq org-use-property-inheritance (quote ("DEADLINE")))
>>>

>>> The problem is that the agenda only shows deadlines for the tasks that
>>> define them
>>
>> is DEADLINE  a property that can be inherited?
>
> Deadlines can currently *not* be inherited.  I would probably advice
> against implementing this because of performance issues that would
> result for the construction of the agenda.
>
> - Carsten

Hi all,

Here's a thought: what about a function which scans a subtree of an
item that has a deadline and adds that same deadline to any
descendants that lack a deadline? It seems to me that this would, via
a one time user intervention, meet the OP's need, without the constant
overhead  about which Carsten is concerned.

It further occurred to me that invoked without arguments, it would
prompt the user for each item without deadline, with a prefix
argument, apply all the deadlines automatically, and, with a numeric
prefix n, automatically apply the alterations n-levels down.

Best,

Brian vdB