Re: [O] How to set up anniversaries/birthdays with org-contacts-annivers

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] How to set up anniversaries/birthdays with org-contacts-anniversaries?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 16:33:16 -0500

Marius Hofert <address@hidden> wrote:

> see here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8036948/how-to-set-up-birthdays-with-org-contacts-error-bad-sexp
>

> On 2011-11-06, at 12:05 , Marius Hofert wrote:
>
> > How can I set up anniversaries with org-contact?
> >
> > My agend.org file contains the following, as mentioned on the bottom of
> > http://julien.danjou.info/org-contacts.html
> >
> > #+STARTUP: showeverything
> > * Birthdays
> >  %%(org-contacts-anniversaries)
> >
> > My contacts.org file contains (e.g.):
> >
> > * My contact                                                   :my.tag:
> > :PROPERTIES:
> > :EMAIL:  address@hidden
> > :WORK:
> > :HOME:
> > :MOBILE:
> > :LOCATION:
> > :BIRTHDAY: 2000-01-01
> > :NOTE:
> > :END:
> >
> > When I access agenda view via C-c a a, I obtain:
> >
> > Bad sexp at line 3 in /Users/myusername/org/agenda.org:
> > (org-contacts-anniversaries) [7 times]
> >
> > Note that line three corresponds to "%%(org-contacts-anniversaries)"

The org sexp handler issues this message whenever an error is signalled
when trying to evaluate the sexp.

In this case (as in most of these cases), the error is probably because
org-contacts-anniversaries is not defined, for whatever reason.

Try to eval

    (org-contacts-anniversaries)

manually - what do you get? I get

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function org-contacts-anniversaries)
|   (org-contacts-anniversaries)
|   eval((org-contacts-anniversaries) nil)
|   eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
|   eval-last-sexp(nil)
|   call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
`----

Then load org-contacts with

     (require 'org-contacts)

or similar, and try the eval again. I get nil as a result, but more
importantly, no error. Assuming that you get no error either, try the
agenda again.

Nick