Re: [O] About commit named "Allow multi-line properties to be specified

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] About commit named "Allow multi-line properties to be specified in property blocks"
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 11:06:48 +0100

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Rainer,

Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> > * appending to a file-wide property
>> >   :PROPERTIES:
>> >   :var+:      , baz=3
>> >   :END:
>>
>> To be honest, the only thing that I dislike is the comma in the above line.
>> Not intuitive at all. Quite hard to read.
>>
>> Can't the comma be implicitly added by the `+' after the property name?
>
> On the one hand, it might have one additional advantage:
>
>   #+property: var   foo="This is a very long text"
>   #+property: var+ "with even more."

I don't think such a construction would be tolerated. I guess you must write
a var name (foo, bar, baz, ...) after the `var+' keyword.

> Would foo be:
> "This is a very long text with even more"

To be accurate, it would have become:

 "This is a very long textwith even more"

if such a concatenation would be implied.

Correct - missing space.

> Could one make the "," implicit, if the value follows the
>
> x=y
>
> style, while otherwise just concatenate the value to the one before?

I guess this is going too far, as Babel is untyped: what about...

   #+property: var   foo=2
   #+property: var+  5

Does foo become equal to 25?

(I know I exaggerate somehow, but just to show I guess such extensions are
simply not possible without explicit types).

You definitely have a point here - so I opt for the implicit ","

Cheers,

Rainer

But, if not equal to 25, what would be expected?  An error, ...?

Best regards,
 Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban