Re: [O] org-mobile-push problem

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] org-mobile-push problem
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 17:45:15 +0530

> Sorry, I didn't get into too much detail here because I had the
> feeling that the problem might have been cause by me not being able
> to use the package manager correctly rather than the package manager
> itself. But if it could help others, of course, I'm sharing the
> details as far as I understand them.
>
> I'm using Aquamacs (for Mac OS):
>
> GNU Emacs 23.3.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
> of 2011-10-25 on braeburn.aquamacs.org - Aquamacs Distribution 2.4
>
> When I run "package-list-packages", I get the message "Failed to
> download `Org-mode' archive." (didn't note that before), but it still
> offered the latest version of Org nevertheless.

Do
M-x customize-variable RET package-archives RET

and delete the following "Org-mode" archive from the list:

(add-to-list 'package-archives
              '("Org-mode" . "http://orgmode.org/pkg/daily/";))

Additionally, you can also look at ~/.emacs.d/elpa/archives/ subdir and
recursively delete the directory corresponding to "Org-mode" archive.

> I could install it from there and Org appeared to be updated to
> version 7.7, but somehow the macro "org-eval-in-environment" was only
> found after reloading Org uncompiled after every restart of
> Emacs.

> This could be repeated infinitely, i.e., I always got this error
> message when running "package-list-packages" and it always offered me
> to install Org. Now I downloaded the tar-file manually and installed
> it with "package-install-file". Now "org-eval-in-environment" is found
> normally. After "package-list-files" I still get the message "Failed
> to download `Org-mode' archive.", but it shows Org as installed and
> does no longer offer to install it.
>
> I hope that was more helpful. If you need more information, I will be
> happy to try to provide it.

I am trying to isolate the root cause of the issue here. Hope you can
help me locate the root cause.

Try the following procedure:

1. Store the org-*.tar that you have downloaded in some safe place.
2. rm -rf ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-* {BE CAREFUL HERE, YOU ARE DELETING
   STUFF}
   - In this step you are deleting your org installed through elpa.
3. Check your .emacs - Does it make have (require 'org-install)? If it
   has this entry remove that line or comment out that line.
4. Restart emacs
5. M-x locate-library RET org RET
6. Note the directory reported.
   - If it looks like it is coming from your default Emacs installation
     directory then proceed to step 7.

   - If it looks like it is one of the directories added by you, delete
     that directory from either load-path or simply delete it from the
     disk. (To be safe, instead of deleting you can just rename or move
     the directory somewhere else). Goto step 4.
7. Note the version of Org with M-x org-version RET. Now do a M-x
   package-install-file RET
8. Restart Emacs
9. Now. Do you still run in to the original org-macs issue that you
   reported?

Extra information for me:
10. What does C-h v package-enable-at-startup RET report?