Re: [O] dependencies and schedule repeater problem

From: Shelagh Manton
Subject: Re: [O] dependencies and schedule repeater problem
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 20:49:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 11:17:51 +0100, Sandra Snan wrote:

> What I want is that if I look at my list of things to do, and I’ve
> already swept the floor and marked it as done, it shouldn’t bother me
> anymore for the day, but pop up the next day. And if I’ve swept the
> floor, I’ll be presented with the opportunity to also mop the floor, if
> it’s been a week since last time. (And I don’t want to mop an unswept
> floor. And I don’t need to mop every time I sweep.)
>

> This is what I have now.
>
> I’m using GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
> bars) of 2010-12-11 on brahms, modified by Debian and the version of
> org-mode that came with it.
>
> * TODO mop the floor :home:
>   SCHEDULED: <2011-11-01 Tue .+1w>
> ** TODO sweep the floor
>    SCHEDULED: <2011-11-01 Tue .+1d>
>
> I have a custom agenda search that hides future items. For example,
> expressions like
> ("hh" tags-todo "home+SCHEDULED=\"\"|SCHEDULED<=\"<today>\"") deep
> inside org-agenda-custom-commands.
>
> I have custom-set
>  '(org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks (quote invisible))
>  '(org-enforce-todo-dependencies t)
>
> The problem is that “sweep the floor” never gets marked done since it
> has a repeater, so “mop the floor” never becomes visible.
>
> Can I fix this problem, or can I get the desired behavior some other
> way?
>
> Thank you,
> Sandra

> PS
> “mop the floor” and “sweep the floor” are just examples and so are the
> specific intervals. I have many different repeating and depending tasks
> that work like this.

Sandra

you might like to look at org-depend module if you have complicated
dependency problems, but another way to "repeat" is to not use the
repeater notation which never gives you a done chore but to use the clone
subtree shift time (which you can find in the menu for edit structure)

Just some quick thoughts.

Shelagh