Re: [O] About commit named "Allow multi-line properties to be specified

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] About commit named "Allow multi-line properties to be specified in property blocks"
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:22:20 +0100

Hi,

Having followed the thread on Babel and properties after the removal of the #+BABEL headers, I understand the motivation for introducing this.

But I share Nicolas' feelings that a property block doesn't rhyme with existing usage of blocks and properties.

There were many other ideas that came up:

1. PROPERTY+ lines (as discussed in Eric's message above).

2. A similar approach to the table formula editor (C-c ') for properties.

3. Allowing some properties to accumulate values, in particular making the :var: property for Babel blocks cumulative (slightly different versions suggested by Eric and Darlan; either would require some changes to Org's property handling), and

4. My own idea of allowing any defined property to be passed as an argument to src blocks (which would require some changes to how Babel reads its :var header args).

Solutions 1-2 would solve the long lines problem. Solutions 2-4 would avoid introducing new syntax (#+BEGIN_PROPERTY or #+PROPERTY+) largely to make up for having removed old syntax (#+BABEL). Solutions 3-4 would have wide-ranging effects and would need some careful study, but I think the advantages might outweigh the risks.

Yours,
Christian