Re: [O] Link abbreviations, org-files with searches

From: Gustav Wikström
Subject: Re: [O] Link abbreviations, org-files with searches
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:33:31 +0100

Hi Suvayu!

I know about the normal links and the possibility to search with these. The thing is that I want to use an abbreviation (see sec. 4.6 in the manual) to not have to type the path for this particular link every time.

Instead of typing (1)

[[file:/path/to/file.org::*<Heading_text>][Description]]

I want to be able to add an abbreviation in the beginning of the file the link is in, with (2):

#+LINK: foo     file:/long/path/to/file/foo.org

and then use this abbreviation later in the text with (3):

[[foo][Description]]

,and also be able to use searches with this abbreviation. And it is this syntax that seems a bit cumbersome to use when adding headline-searching to it (requiring four ":") and does not work when trying to use regular search. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

I also know that I could add the "::%s" to the link, giving (4):

#+LINK: foo     file:/long/path/to/file/foo.org::%s

but this makes it unusable as a simple file link without search. I intend to use the link in multiple places inside my document both with and without searches, thus I'm still wondering about this syntax-issue and the non-headline search.

Regards
Gustav

(PS. sorry for the double-mail Suvayu. )

2011/10/31 suvayu ali <address@hidden>
Hello Gustav,

2011/10/31 Gustav Wikström <address@hidden>:
> Hello!
> When defining a link-abbreviation to an org-file with a headline search I
> manage to get it to work with the following syntax:
>   #+LINK: foo     file:/long/path/to/file/foo.org

AFAIK, this is not required. Support for linking to org headlines is
already built in.

>   [[foo::::*heading inside foo]]

This should be something like this:

[[file:/path/to/file.org::*<Heading_text>][Description]]

> I have to use four ":" to be able to search, instead of the three I would
> expect (expecting three since the first ":" is used to declare that I want
> to enter a tag and the following two are used inside the tag). Is this
> intended behaviour?

I am not sure what you are talking about here. Could you give an
example to illustrate?

> Also, it only seems to work for headline-search. I cannot get the regular
> search to work. Can someone confirm this behaviour?

For the regular search, something like this should be sufficient:

[[file:/path/to/file.org::<search_phrase>][Description]]

> /Gustav

Hope this helps.

PS: org-mode has amazing info documentation. Please check them out. All
   of these are well covered there. For tutorials, you can check the
   community site Worg.

--
Suvayu