Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lin

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lines
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:00:14 +0200

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte wrote:
>> I think that makes sense.
>>
>> While thinking about all of this, and working in real-life documents, I just
>> came back to a suggestion which I made some time ago. It goes about this
>> enhancement:
>>
>>     Would it be possible to specify "buffer-wide language specific" header
>>     arguments?
>
> Yes, this is already possible.  You can customize the
> org-babel-default-header-args:lang variable (where "lang" is the source
> name) as a file local variable.
>
>> That is, be able to say:
>>
>>     "In this document, I want to:
>>     - tangle all my .sql chunks, but no other;
>>     - eval all the elisp chunks with query, but no other."
>>
>> Something we could write quite easily along the lines:
>>
>>     #+PROPERTY:               tangle no
>>     #+PROPERTY:               eval never
>>     #+PROPERTY[SQL]:          tangle yes
>>     #+PROPERTY[EMACS-LISP]:   eval query
>>
>>     (the syntax used here is just a draft sample!)
>>

> I do not think we can customize the PROPERTY syntax as is exists outside
> of Babel.  The goal here was to piggy-back on top of rather than co-opt
> regular Org-mode syntax.

I understand that argument.

It's just that the current solution is not optimal (among others) for
documents mixing R and shell code: you don't want your "session" property to
be common between both languages (shell code sent to your R terminal, or
vice-versa).

But it's nice this case is already handled in a more generic way than on the
code blocks themselves, and I can live with that. Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban