Re: [O] How to include comments on export? org-exp-blocks.el?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] How to include comments on export? org-exp-blocks.el?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:33:12 -0400

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:

> > So I tried
> >
> > (add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook (function
> > org-export-blocks-preprocess))
> >
> > and I get the comment in the HTML output.
>
> Is it valid a valid xhtml?

I have no idea: I was mainly interested in how to make org-exp-blocks to
work (for some value of "work") and although I looked at the HTML, I didn't
check it.

> M-x nxml-mode
> C-c C-n (assumming rng validation is on)
>
> I find that it suffers from the same problem that cropped up wrt special
> blocks. See this thread
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-10/msg00046.html
>
> I think the comment blocks are better handled as special blocks instead
> of org-exp-blocks.

That may very well be true.

> ps: I think number of blocks and hooks in Org reflect number of people
> that worked on it :-)
> --

Well, I don't mind a plethora of hooks: they enable things that wouldn't
be possible otherwise (and they are even documented and easily findable
because of uniform naming: either the M-x org--hook trick which works
because of the uniform naming [fn:1] or the Worg (?)  page that Carsten
pointed to some time ago[fn:2]).

As for org-exp-blocks, two out of the three areas of its application, as
discussed in the commentary, are deprecated: only comment remains. But
contrary to your (tongue-in-cheek) remark, Eric Schulte seems to be
single-handedly responsible for all of the block stuff :-)

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] Note to future maintainers: don't ever name a hook anything other than
org-foo-bar-hook or else :-)

[fn:2] I prefer the first to the second because I can do it right in emacs: no
need to go look up URLs and use inferior tools.