Re: [O] org-contacts or bbdb?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] org-contacts or bbdb?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:44:51 +0200

Hi Wes and all,

Wes Hardaker wrote:

> EA> As Rasmus mentioned, if you use BBDB you should get version 3, it's
> EA> significantly better than the previous version. There's a slow movement
> EA> towards better import/export functions, which I think has been one of
> EA> the major gripes about BBDB in the past (there are probably more I'm not
> EA> aware of).
>
> BBDB is great, though I haven't switched to BBDB3 yet because of
> incompatible changes I haven't looked into yet.
>
> I actually would like to use org-contacts because I think the editable
> form is significantly nicer than bbdb's.  BBDB is great, but you can't
> go mess with the database easily.  EG, with BBDB if one area gets a new
> area code you can't go quickly search/replace for all records replacing
> 111 with 222.  With org-contacts it's a simple search/replace edit.
>
> Note I wrote a bbdb to org-contacts converter:
>
>   http://www.hardakers.net/code/bbdb-to-org-contacts/
>
> But what I really want is a bi-directional sync, of course...

I share your point of view about editability of org-contacts. I clearly would
like all my data to become Orgified in some way.

Though, I did not do the change from my bbdb (still 2.35) to Org-contacts as,
for me, one thing that really is missing is the ability to recognize emails
and author names: I want to be alerted if my buddy "John Doe" uses a mail I
wasn't aware of, and want to be offered the possibility to add it in my
database.

Same for the same email address, but with a different name.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban