Re: [O] outline-demote incorrectly demotes leaf nodes

From: Sanjoy Mahajan
Subject: Re: [O] outline-demote incorrectly demotes leaf nodes
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 18:03:01 +0000 (UTC)

Christian Moe <mail <at> christianmoe.com> writes:

> The Org manual (2.5 Structure editing) says to use M-S-≤right>
> (org-demote-subtree) for what the submitter wants to do.

(I am the original reporter of the issue on the Debian BTS.)  That is useful
information for me, and I will use those keys.

I do worry about one point, namely that C-c C-> (outline-demote) should still
work.  And it does work in regular outline mode.  For example, if I rename my
test file to c.otl and then use C-c C-> on the main heading, all the subtrees
are demoted as I expected.  Whereas in org mode the leaf subtree gets a space
instead of a * when it is being demoted.

So, I wonder whether org mode is somehow messing up outline-demote without
meaning to?  I am far from an expert on the org.el lisp code, and maybe the
current org-mode behavior is the intended result.  But I worry that it is not
intended and instead is an accidental side effect of something else.

-Sanjoy