Re: [O] Ways to make org feasible for huge files

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: Re: [O] Ways to make org feasible for huge files
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 04:52:12 -0400 (EDT)

If org-mode runs into that kind of problem one way might be when a new
.org file is made it has a chained from [main.org] statement in the top.
 If the file remains small enough that's all it would get.  If the file
is going to go beyond x lines in length, then a chained to [file.org]
would end that first file and file.org would then open up if a user went
beyond the chained to statement in the first file.  The file file.org
would have a chained from [firstfile.org] somewhere in the top of the
file and names for files ought to be selectable by the users.  This will
only work where good garbage collection happens, and something like it
was used on CP/M systems with t-maker back before I.B.M. made its first
PC.

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> Btw I get that behavior in emacs 23.1 too
> Scott
>

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>wrote:
>
> > Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > Hi Marcelo,
> >
> > > 4328, exactly the same amount of lines I have in the file.
> >
> > Didn't you say that you have 4000 *k* lines?
> >
> > Anyway, as Scott mentiones, in emacs 24 the linum packages seems to be
> > more clever and only creates overlays for the visible area of a buffer.
> > For example, when opening a file with 1000 lines and enabling
> > linum-mode, I only have 35 overlays, because only 35 lines are visible
> > at a time.
> >
> > Bye,
> > Tassilo

Jude <address@hidden>
If I got a nickel for every message I've already sent supporting Microsoft
Windows and its applications I'd have enough to retire on comfortably no
matter what the stock market did.