[O] GNU Emacs crashing on large Orgmode files (was: Ways to make org fea

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] GNU Emacs crashing on large Orgmode files (was: Ways to make org feasible for huge files)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:39:00 +0200

* Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi list,

Hi individual!

> I love org and I think there's nothing like it out there,

Ack!

> but I'm considering using Evernote for reference notes, because my
> reference.orgfile has grown too big (4234k + lines). This makes
> the rendering of the file way too slow, and 2 times out of 10
> emacs crashes because of that.

Not exactly the topic you mentioned but as a side mark to crashes on
Mac OS X I want to add:

I am trying to implement life-logging [1] with Org-mode and GNU
Emacs. Therefore I created [2]. Even in this early stage, it ends up
with >150.000 lines in approx. 30 Org-mode files. Most of them are
in «*.org_archive» files though. (Further performance information:
[3])

On my notebook I am using GNU Linux (Ubuntu 11.04) with GNU Emacs
23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4). At home I've got
Mac OS X 10.5 with http://emacsformacosx.com/ (sorry, no detailed
version number since I am currently sitting in my office *g*).

I never noticed *any* crash of Emacs using Org-mode on my Linux
machine. But on my OS X box, I notice crashes many times. Mostly
when navigating (vertically or horizontally) in the Agenda view.

Maybe there is an (hidden?) issue with GNU Emacs on OS X (too).

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifelogging
  2. https://github.com/novoid/Memacs
  3. https://github.com/novoid/Memacs/blob/master/FAQs_and_Best_Practices.org
--