Re: [O] bug#9695: allowed date range

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [O] bug#9695: allowed date range
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:57:56 +0200

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Eric,

>> Oh, now I see what's wrong.  All time stamps consist of the date and
>> then the day's name abbreviation, which is missing with your example.
>> Correct would be
>>
>>   <2011-10-17 Mon>--<2011-10-30 Sun>
>
> Although the day is optional according to the regexp.  I would
> definitely like to have the regexp with the space optional as well as
> there are cases where I want to type the date in directly (not in org
> mode for whatever reason).  In those cases, it is easy to type
> 2011-01-01 or whatever but it's not necessarily trivial to determine
> the day of the week...

Yes, I agree, although you can use org-time-stamp everywhere (in emacs).
And you can actually insert timestamps simply by writing

  <2011-10-13 >

with the whitespace to make it a valid timestamp.  That will be shown as
day entry in the agenda, and you might have typed it in using some
non-emacs text editor on you phone.

Now, back in org-mode, simply S-<up> and S-<down> on any number, and et
voila, the missing day name abbrev is added automatically.

> Actually, interesting thought experiment: does org actually do any
> consistency checks, comparing the date and the day of the week?

No, I don't think so.  Manipulating and creating timestamps using the
provided commands ensures their correctness, but for actual calculation
the day names are ignored.  It's just for humans.

Bye,
Tassilo