[O] What do you use to identify projects (in the GTD sense)

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: [O] What do you use to identify projects (in the GTD sense)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 01:21:57 -0500

Hey list,

I'm wondering if you make the distinction between projects and actionable items. If you stop to think about it (specially if you read GTD by David Allen), you see that you can't really "do" a project, but only actions related to it. It's a powerful and underestimated concept. Of course, a todo list is still a reminder of things, and any list can be useful, but the more specific you are, the less you have to think (process) and the more you can actually execute.

Anyway, I was wondering how you guys differentiate between projects and next actions (todo's) in your org lists. I myself use a :project: tag for projects and todos have todo keywords before them. Projects never have a todo keyword, except when DONE. I used to use a PROJECT keyword before, but I felt that a tag seems to work better (and allows you to actually filter todos without mixing projects). So, a typical list looks like this:

* New feature :project:
** TODO Create a mockup for the index page
** TODO Convert the mockup to html
* Renew passport :project:
** DONE Call for appointment
** TODO Interveiw