Re: [O] Question on ical2org script

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Question on ical2org script
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 20:51:19 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
> that has been posted to gmane.emacs.orgmode as well.
>
> Hi,
>
> I am maintaining my calendar in gcal and org.
>
> I have been switching back and forth between Eric's awk script and a
> python script posted on this list recently.  The later contains some
> bugs.
>
> However, I experience two issues with Eric's script.
>
> * Repeated events
>
> For repeated events only the first occurrence seems to translated.  Here
> is an example:
>
> ┏━━━
> ┃ BEGIN:VEVENT
> ┃ DTSTART;TZID=Europe/London:20111012T150000
> ┃ DTEND;TZID=Europe/London:20111012T170000
> ┃ RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;COUNT=9;BYDAY=WE
> ┃ DTSTAMP:20111008T014417Z
> ┃ UID:address@hidden
> ┃ CREATED:20111007T222923Z
> ┃ LAST-MODIFIED:20111007T222923Z
> ┃ LOCATION:
> ┃ SEQUENCE:0
> ┃ STATUS:CONFIRMED
> ┃ SUMMARY:Micro Class
> ┃ TRANSP:OPAQUE
> ┃ END:VEVENT
> ┗━━━
>
> Note line 4. It reads that the event should be repeated weekly nine
> times.  It does not seem to be repeated in the org-file generated by
> ical2org.  Does other experience this as well?

Yes, repeated events are not supported in the code.  Probably trivial to
add but I'm swamped with a new academic term which started last week so
it'll be a while before I get to this.  I'll add it to my (ever growing)
TODO list in any case.  Thanks for a clear example.

> * All day events.
>
> For me all day events spans two days and are further given a time.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> ┏━━━
> ┃ BEGIN:VEVENT
> ┃ DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20111012
> ┃ DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20111013
> ┃ UID:address@hidden
> ┃ CREATED:20111007T214920Z
> ┃ LAST-MODIFIED:20111007T214920Z
> ┃ LOCATION:
> ┃ SEQUENCE:0
> ┃ STATUS:CONFIRMED
> ┃ SUMMARY:exam\, math
> ┃ TRANSP:TRANSPARENT
> ┃ END:VEVENT
> ┗━━━
>
> Which is translated to
>
> *  exam, math
>   <2011-10-12 Wed 00:00>--<2011-10-13 Thu 00:00>
>
> I don't know why Google writes time as
>
> ┏━━━
> ┃ DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20111012
> ┃ DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20111013
> ┗━━━
>
> but the event is on 20111012 only and it might be more correct to
> translate it to
>
> *  exam, math
>   <2011-10-12 Wed>
>
> which would (correctly) be interpreted as an all-day event in
> org-agenda.
>
> Does anyone else experience this all-day issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Rasmus

I'm not sure I tested all day events (I don't tend to use them,
preferring to say 9am-5pm, say) but I can see the usefulness of
these.  I'll add this to my TODO list as well!

Thanks for the feedback!

eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.368.g85d0)