Re: [O] Merge Properties into Template

From: Richard Parsons
Subject: Re: [O] Merge Properties into Template
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:56:27 +0100

Hi Christian

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Christian Moe <address@hidden> wrote:
> Org doesn't already have a particular way to do this, I think, so a little
> elisp is called for. It's fairly easy with the Org Properties API.

Firstly, thank you so much for taking the time to write some code,
which (even as a newbie) I was able to get running quickly and easily.

> Here's a modest example that will work with your sample document:
...<snip>...
> Evaluate this code. Then place point in the Fido entry, do `M-x
> cm/org-merge', and type `Dog Template' at the prompt.
>
> To improve on that, how do you want to use it?

My actual use case is that I want to merge data about letters and
phone calls into documents for printing with TeX.

> Once Fido's data are merged with the template, what do you want to do with
> the results? Mail them to someone? Export them to HTML? Make a new Org entry
> with the contents and file it somewhere?

Of practical benefit to me would be either: (a) make a new Org entry
and file it (as you suggest) or (b) simply put it in the kill ring, so
that I can yank it wherever I want.

Again, thanks so much for your help, and also the other replies I
received.  I'm very impressed by the org-mode community responding so
quickly to my question.

Richard