Re: [O] Bug: Feature-request: `org-after-checkbox-statistics-hook' [7.7

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Feature-request: `org-after-checkbox-statistics-hook' [7.7 (release_7.7.370.g8e44ba)]
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 09:53:57 -0400

on Sun Oct 02 2011, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I was using checkboxes for a group of subtasks, and was surprised when
>> the following (which I lifted from the manual) wasn't causing the parent
>> item to be marked DONE upon checking the last box.
>>
>> (defun dwa/org-summary-todo (n-done n-not-done)
>>   "Switch entry to DONE when all subentries are done, to TODO otherwise."
>>   (let (org-log-done org-log-states)   ; turn off logging
>>     (org-todo (if (= n-not-done 0) "DONE" "TODO"))))
>> (add-hook 'org-after-todo-statistics-hook 'dwa/org-summary-todo)
>>
>> So I set some debugger breakpoints and realized that code wasn't even
>> getting called.  There's a completely separate wad of code in org-list
>> that handles checkbox statistics.  So naturally, there's a hook, which I
>> added my TODO->DONE function to:
>>
>> (add-hook 'org-checkbox-statistics-hook 'dwa/org-summary-todo)
>>
>> But `org-checkbox-statistics-hook' is a list of nullary functions, so of
>> course this broke since my function expects N-DONE and N-NOT-DONE.  I
>> looked around for an easy way to determine N-DONE and N-NOT-DONE but it
>> doesn't seem to exist; it's buried in the logic of
>> org-update-checkbox-count... I think.  What I need is a hook that acts
>> like org-after-todo-statistics-hook, but for checkboxes.
>
> You just have to search for "[ ]" or "[-]" in the current section. If
> there is none, and there is at least one "[X]", you can mark your task
> as done.

Silly me; I was looking for a programmatic interface that would handle
things at a level of abstraction above pattern matching in text.  But
given the number of similar-looking regexps I see scattered through the
Org code I'm guessing that's just not the way things are done.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing