Re: [O] would take more than an org-mode strip-down.

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: Re: [O] would take more than an org-mode strip-down.
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:58:43 -0400 (EDT)

There is no exclusivity connected to emacs or anything else on gnu.  More
like extreme inclusivity.  If there was even a little exclusivity on gnu
or within linux, I wouldn't be able to install it on a laptop by myself
without any vision!  However no version of windows can be installed on a
laptop or tower by anyone with no vision by themselves to this date and
that exclusivity will remain with Windows 8 and probably beyond Windows 8
as well. On Wed, 28 Sep 2011, James Levine wrote:

> I?ll go on leap of faith that the email I?ve been provided actually
> contributes to the same thread I emailed to earlier. Please everyone: thank
> you for looking out. This is clearly a thoughtful and supportive community.
> You can not deny, however, that even the design of this forum is but one
> example of how the Emacs community maintains its exclusivity. Own up to it.
> If there?s no problem, then don?t fix it. But for those who are following the
> statements on comparing org-mode to commercial substitutes like Taskpaper and
> see this as an outcome of people making less-informed choices, I hope I can
> keep your attention. Once I know which way to point my eyes, I promise I will
> fall in line. Please take a step back folks, there?s an implied objective
> that I?m making which I?ll state more explicitly:
>
> In order for org-mode to be attractive as an alternative to popular self-help
> like GTD, Covey and the market of task managers both digital and paper that
> exist, this community would need to take all this extensive documentation and
> package it. Do not confuse content with transparency. People don?t even read
> this much before electing their President. Should open-source software not
> concern itself with good bullet points? Does this imply that I?m not
> appreciative of the work?  There?s an opportunity cost with finding the time
> for even this thread, which I?m hoping we can agree should not be a barrier
> of entry for those who are simply interested in trying org-mode. As it
> stands, however, just trying org-mode takes lots of reading if just to
> install correctly. That?s all I?m saying.
>
> Text is but one way that people learn. If you?re documenting sofware, it
> leans towards rational, logical, and linear thinking. Some people require a
> full-picture model first seeing things from many angles. Other?s prefer trial
> and error, and others, still, enjoy hypotheticals. People can adopt different
> strategies along the way. But to insist on only one method of learning and
> sharing, while being concerned that you?re not meeting a larger audience is
> tantamount to calling the rest of the class stupid, or simply a manner of
> dishonesty with one?s own motivations.
>
> Maybe what would be helpful is some bridge instruction: ?Graduating from
> Taskpaper: so you?re ready to try org-mode. What to expect:? I do find that
> if I have an orientation point, even if it wasn?t the best decision in the
> first place, I have a better reference as to the changes I would envision and
> what the value of future options would be.
>
> cheers
>
> James
> On Sep 28, 2011, at 10:18 AM, Jambunathan K wrote:
>
> James
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > As an expert end-user but outside the computer science field, I?ve
> > felt there to be a high cost of entry for working in org-mode.
>
> This is another perfectly practical way to address the problem that you
> [...]

Jude <address@hidden>
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet
of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's
got God on his side."
~ Bill Hicks