Re: [O] bug#9610: 24.0.90; org-mode: sluggish response and high CPU util

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] bug#9610: 24.0.90; org-mode: sluggish response and high CPU utilization with large .org files
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:11:06 +0100

Lawrence Mitchell <address@hidden> writes:

>>> If you type this:
>
>>>  M-x set-variable RET bidi-paragraph-direction RET left-to-right RET
>
>>> does the problem go away?
>
>> My bug report contained two scenarios to produce sluggish response and
>> high CPU utilization.  These scenarios were
>
>>  (1) move point to the end of buffer, and start typing
>
>>  (2) Put point in line 1, column zero; press and hold the down (then up)
>>  arrows to move point down (then up) the org-mode buffer.
>
>> Setting bidi-paragraph-direction: left-to-right eliminates the problem
>> with scenario (1).  However, it has no effect on scenario (2).
>
> Setting bidi-display-reordering to nil in the buffer has the
> effect that moving point is no longer jerky for me.

Brilliant!  I have been getting rather annoyed at the jerky movement in
a number of buffers, mostly org, but I knew the problem wasn't due to
org having done timings etc.  Setting this to nil does the job.

What do you recommend is the best way to handle this: in org-mode-hook
for instance?

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.328.g1a97)