Re: [O] Read-only Cloning Worg Error

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Read-only Cloning Worg Error
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:06:38 +0200

Nathan Neff <address@hidden> writes:
> The instructions say to clone http://repo.or.cz/r/Worg.git

While correct, unless you are forced to use HTTP due to a paranoid
firewall, it would actually be better to clone from:

git://repo.or.cz/Worg.git

You'll transfer a lot less data when using the git protocol.

> (I think it's supposed to be http://repo.or.cz./w/Worg.git)

No, that URL is for the web interface.

> So I ran
>
> git clone http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git
>
> And I get a warning:
>
> warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

That usually happens if the access rights are such that you can't read
one of the files that are referred to.  But in your case you simply try
to get the files from the wrong place and git just cannot find them
there.

> Anyway, I was able to successfully clone Worg using this:
>
> git clone git+ssh://<my username>@repo.or.cz/srv/git/Worg.git

I never use this for read access, only for push.

Achim.