Re: [O] Idea, configurable markup

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Idea, configurable markup
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:47:51 -0600

Dov Grobgeld <address@hidden> writes:

> I got the following idea regarding the use of markup characters in org-mode.
> Currently it is possible to use *bold*, /italic/ and ~verbose~ and a few
> other markups. I would have liked to have this extended as follows:
>
>    - Allow the toggling of the display of the "formatting" characters, *, ~,
>    /, etc.

This is currently possible through customization of the
`org-hide-emphasis-markers' variable

>    - Allow a system that allows the user to invent his own
>    formatting. E.g.  «variable», 〈function〉, $math$, ⌞string⌟, or
>    whatever the user fancies. All these modes should be defined in an
>    org-mode variable and the display attributes should be
>    configurable, just like any other custom org-mode font.  If the
>    user wants to expand beyond ASCII it should be up to him.  -
>    Alternately, use a system like "<var>variable</var>" where the tag
>    var is user definable, just like the magic characters above. The
>    display of the tags should be toggable. Just like for
>    [file:foo.bar] where the [] character are hidden, should the tags
>    be hidden until someone erases one of the two delimiters.

Something similar to this is possible using custom link types.  See the
info page for more information.

  (info "(org)Adding hyperlink types")

Examples that have been discussed on the mailing list include using link
types to control the color of words (both for inline display and
export).  A search in the mailing list archives should turn up more
specifics.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte