Re: [O] [bug] equations in latex equation environment with leading +/- m

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] equations in latex equation environment with leading +/- misinterpreted
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 09:45:23 +0100

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> but behaviour that I can accept, especially as the easy solution is to
>> simply enclose the equation in a latex block:
>>
>> * equation with leading minus sign
>>   The following equation
>> #+begin_latex
>>   \begin{equation}
>>   \label{eq:test}
>>   y = 3 x
>>   - 5
>>   + 4
>>   \end{equation}
>> #+end_latex
>>
>> This works just fine and is probably for the best in any case.  Using a
>> latex block allows for latex specific editing (C-c ').  Should have done
>> this in the first place!
>
> Technically, this isn't the same. The LaTeX block would be removed
> during an HTML export while the plain LaTeX code would be changed into
> an image (or "Mathjaxified", whatever that means).

Agreed.  For my use case, this is not a major issue, mind you, as my
preferred export route is to PDF via LaTeX...

> That's annoying because I tend to think that writing plain LaTeX
> environments (without any block marker) should be deprecated.

Again, agreed, but this will require a more general approach to the
handling of e.g. latex blocks for export to other languages.  Not easy,
I would guess, unless we make more use of conversion to png for blocks.

Thanks again,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.284.g11de)