Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-typ

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-typed table
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:50:43 +0200

András Major <address@hidden> writes:

> This isn't what I need.  What I want is to make a graph of certain
> columns of a table which contains both ints and strings.  Ideally,
> there should be no constraint about which columns contain ints and
> which contain strings.

Again, this is a limitation of Asymptote. An array _must_ contain
elements of a single type. That beast you want doesn't exist (unless you
typedef it, but then you cannot pass arguments anymore).

> Since the table usually comes first (you collect your research in
> such, for instance), reformatting afterwards only so that asymptote
> works is not an option.

Why? You can always write an intermediary step to "stringify" every
cell. Choose your language. Nick Dokos showed you one way.

> Why isn't it possible to force ob-asymptote to make all cells strings?

It is possible to force ob-asymptote to make all cells strings. But
I don't think ob-asymptote should try that hard to compensate users'
misuses of data types.

Now, I may be totally wrong.

Regards,

--