[O] Hints for contributors -- correct ChangeLog entries

From: Bastien
Subject: [O] Hints for contributors -- correct ChangeLog entries
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:40:41 +0200

Dear all,

here is a quick summary of things to keep in mind when submitting a
patch to Org-mode:

- prefer `git format-patch': it makes it easy to apply patches without
  having to manually amend the patch (with the author's name, etc.)

- always add an emacs ChangeLog in the commit message: you can create
  the ChangeLog with `C-x 4 a' (M-x add-change-log-entry-other-window).
  When merging Org into Emacs, we collect these logs and put them into
  emacs/lisp/org/ChangeLog.

- If your copyright is not assigned to the FSF, take extra care of
  adding a TINYCHANGE cookie at the end of your ChangeLog entry so that
  we can easily track those changes.

- Take care of a few formatting issues in the ChangeLog itself:

  - Start all sentences with an uppercase letter.
  - Use a full-stop and double-space at the end of each sentence.
  - Quote variables and functions names like this: `org-agenda'.

Here is an example:

,----
| * org-publish.el (org-publish-index-generate-theindex): Rename
|   from `org-publish-index-generate-theindex.inc'.  Use the file
|   theindex.org directly instead of including theindex.inc.
|   (org-publish-projects): Don't delete .orgx files.
|   (org-publish-aux-preprocess): Use .file.orgx.
`----

Thanks all for your efforts!

Best,

--