[O] monospace (=) and quotes not getting along

From: Michael Hannon
Subject: [O] monospace (=) and quotes not getting along
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:02:33 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings.  I have another dumb question related to HTML export.  In the
document I'm revising I have some R code and some references to R variables.
I'd like the R code and variables to appear in monospaced font.  This seems
easy enough.  Here's an example that works as I want it to work:

    To define =my_foobar= in this model, we issue the command:

        => my_foobar = dataset$foobar=

I've got a whole series of similar expressions, and they mostly do work, but
here's one that doesn't:

    To define =my_frabbitz= in this model, we issue the command:

        => my_frabbitz = "someRandomWord"=

The "my_frabbitz" in the sentence comes out in monospace, but the R code
doesn't.  It seems that the quotation marks are killing the process.

I've tried a number of stupid quoting tricks, such as using:

    ...\"someRandomWord\"=
    ...""someRandomWord""=

etc., but they typically make things worse.

BTW, using the begin/end_example construct does more or less what I want, but
it breaks the flow of the document, and there are many places in the document
where the =...= construct works just fine and gives the look I need.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-- Mike